October 8, 2012 I became a full-time Google employee! The whole adventure of changing jobs was scary, to say the least. I have a good job at Southeast Community College. Good co-workers/friends. Good pay and benefits. A stable environment that wasn't likely to go under any time soon. Despite the good friends, I was miserable. I didn't like either of the last two positions I worked. Well, actually, I enjoyed the helpdesk, just not some of the changes that came with a change in management. When the wheels got clogged and I was no longer able to actually help the people who needed it, the job became a burden. However, I digress.
I had gotten to the point that I didn't enjoy going to work. I realize that most people don't really enjoy work, but I usually do. If not, at least I don't wake up Sunday morning dreading having to go back to work on Monday. If I don't enjoy it, or necessarily want to be there, at least I don't hate it. The past 4 years at SCC had become a bit of torture. I was so stressed that I was constantly getting sick, or having horrid headaches, to the point of being sick to my stomach. I would get to work at the last possible moment and leave as soon as possible. Something needed to change, but it's a scary world out there and I had stability. I also had the golden handcuffs of GREAT benefits. Change is scary when what you have is stable and pays the bills, even though it makes you miserable.
Every few years, I put my resume out to see what pops up. Most times, I get few or no hits, or ones that have nothing to do with my skills or field. What part of 'seeking a position in IT' makes people think I want to sell insurance? Hmm? I also narrow the field to try to get close to where my grandmother lives. She's not getting any younger, and though she does well it would be nice to be closer and be able to help her more easily. At any rate, a recruiter from Google called and left me a message about a temporary position. I ignored it. Why would I go temporary at a great pay cut? The recruiter kept calling and then started e-mailing. I finally called back, explained I wasn't interested in temporary positions and asked if there was a change for permanent. She said there was a good chance at it becoming permanent. I weighed the pros and cons, and took the leap.
I'm glad I took the chance. It doesn't get me closer to Grandma. The pay isn't as good. However, Google is a stable company, I have insurance and other good benefits and good co-workers. The best part: I don't hate getting out of bed in the mornings. Okay, maybe I do, but not because I have to go to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment