Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What doesn't kill you...

The new job has the added benefit of being mobile.  Instead of sitting at my desk all day, I'm on my feet walking and lifting more of my shift. I started losing weight last December/January due to being sick. Thanks to the change in jobs, I've been able to continue that and have lost about 25 lbs this year.

To add to this, I've been doing more physical activity outside of work as well.  Some is by default, like living in a third floor apartment and having to take the dog out at least 3 times a day, and some by design.  A friend from work has talked me into joining her Taekwondo class.  I've always been interested in martial arts, so it wasn't a hard sell. In hind sight, I think she's trying to kill me. Last night we did what I'll call a mini-fit test. Thirty seconds of activity, 30 seconds rest consisting of 5 activities.  Push-ups, sit-ups, kicks, punches and kicks, and then punches. I haven't done push-ups since college.  In fact, I didn't think my wrist would supports push-ups, but I'm stubborn.  I managed 13 in 30 seconds, I'm pretty proud.  However, by the time we got done with sit-ups, it was pretty apparent how out of shape I am.  I knew it, but now I have proof.  By the end of round 5 I was starting to wonder if I would live. I think I had most of my breath back after about 15 minutes.

However, here I sit.  Alive, and well, alive.  My arms hurt, my abs hurt by the time I got home last night.  The real test is 1 minutes on, one minute off.  If a could do what I did for double time and double my numbers, I would about be on track to pass the test.  At this point, even the thought makes me want to cry in agony, but I have a goal. One that will either kill me, or make me stronger. Time will tell.


By the way, I want black roses at my funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment